The Big Rockin' Blues Band is an eight person, energetic, 'true blues' band; a foot stompin', head bobbin', sing along, have-a-ball band! The Big Rockin’ Blues Band was formed in the fall of 2006 and has played over 125 gigs!!
The lead singer is Mike Weinstock, a 25 year lover and veteran of the blues, who also plays guitar and harmonica. Mike has has traveled extensively, and played in diverse settings, from street corners in New Zealand to Chicago's south-side classic blues club the Checkerboard Lounge. Mike has produced 4 CD’s and cassettes including:
- Two Missionaries and a Frog
- Busking in the Third World,
- Ramblin’ Shoes and Freight Yard Blues,
- Off the Streets and into the Studio
Mike is joined by 7 amazing musicians including:
- Ben Johnson on bass and vocals: Ben is the glue of The Big Rockin' Blues Band - rockin' a bluesy bass... filling our sound from the low end.
- Jenny Morgan on guitar and vocals: Jenny has been playing music her whole life, and has recorded 4 original CD's as well as using music to bring kids back to nature. Jenny met Michael in 1987 and they have been playing together ever since! You can visit Jenny's music at www.jennymorganmusic.com
- Tomasz Jarzecki on drums: Tomasz is originally from Poland, is a graduate of University of Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music and a self proclaimed "jack-of-all-genres". From a symphony stage to a country band stand, he's done it, performing with the Juke Joint Saints, Christy Angeletti Band, Ray Massa's Eurorhythms, In Full Swing Big Band, and the Clavesonic Latin Jazz Project. In short… he rocks!
- Dennis Hirsch on percussion: Dennis plays hand percussion, bongas, congas, bonga-congas and has been known to prompt the crowd to yell; "more cowbell next time!" Dr. Hirsch brings it all home adding a reggae beat to Knockin' on Heavens Door and a tribal energy to Sympathy for the Devil! Listen carefully for his vocal performance on Ain't no sunshine when she's gone...
- Pete Cary on lead guitar: Pete has played in numerous Columbus bands and might very well be the best guitar player you have ever heard!
- Ben Kessler on keyboards: Ben keyboardest-extraordinaire, professor of the musicology, fine-tuned and blues-grooved adds a dimension rarely heard in a blues band; one only needs to hear him play and sing Oh my sweet Carolina, Wagon Wheel, or Broken Halos to know you have come to the right place.
- Steve Shapiro on harp, vocals, and guitar: Steve got his start performing at the Provincial Hotel, a rough biker bar, finishing the evening with a guitar on his back and holding tight as a 'biker chick' rode him home. He has an urgent and engaging voice ranging from Johnny B. Goode and American Girl to I'm Free.
Recent projects include headlining:
- Bexley July 4th celebration
- Charity Challenge
- Five separate appearances at the Ohio Governor’s Mansion
- Numerous private parties and weddings
- Plus recent club performances at Woodlands Tavern, High Beck, Barley’s, Oldfield’s, and Victory’s/Classics.
The band’s music includes the songs of:
- Muddy Waters
- Willie Dixon
- Ellis McDaniels
- Tom Petty
- Jimi Hendrix
- The Rolling Stones:
Sample set list:
Got my Mojo workin’
Who do you love?
Can’t judge a book by it’s cover
Not Fade Away
Sweet Home Chicago
One bourbon, one scotch, one beer
Sympathy for the Devil
Knockin’ on heavens door (reggae version)
Hoochie, coochie man
No woman, no cry
Detroit medley (rockin’ Springsteen version)
Big Boss Man
Rock me baby